ABOUT THE POSITION: Under general direction the individual in this position is responsible for providing comprehensive outpatient medical services to our patients. This position requires availability for evening and Saturday clinics.
1. M.D. degree from a recognized University, one to two years experience working in primary care clinic setting.
2. Valid license to practice Medicine in the State of California. Board Eligible/Certified in Internal Medicine. If Board Eligible must become certified within 2 years of employment.
3. Practices evidence based approach to providing primary care, utilizing research and theory.
4. Ability and willingness to work under pressure and as part of an interdisciplinary team.
5. Flexibility in meeting patient needs (e.g., seeing unscheduled drop-in patients as appropriate).
6. Excellent time management skills.
7. Cultural competence working in diverse/low income communities.
8. Thorough knowledge of the principles, methods and objectives of modern medicine.
9. Excellent clinical and physical assessment skills essential.
10. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with both professional staff and clients essential.
11. Ability to keep accurate, clear and legible records.
12. Ability to deal courteously and effectively with complex patient profiles, and maintain good working relationships with other staff.
13. Bilingual skills (English/Spanish) strongly preferred.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Serves as part of provider team by providing routine, acute, urgent, preventive, curative, and rehabilitative medical care to adult patients and determines appropriate regimen as needed.
2. Screens and monitors the management of stabilized chronic conditions, asymptomatic and well patient care. Initiates referrals to medical specialists as required.
3. Provides health education to patients regarding various health and medical issues in coordination with Clinical Health Educator.
4. Provides consultation for nurse practitioners and physician assistants on the assessment, management and treatment of complicated cases, chart review, co-signing, and case conferences.
5. Works with clinic staff to utilize provider time effectively (e.g. follow up, drop-ins, case management, health education).
6. Documents all care provided in the patient chart.
7. Participates in quality assurance/quality improvement activities as needed.
8. Makes suggestions for improvements in clinic flow, patient scheduling and service delivery.
9. Collaborates professionally with interdisciplinary team members, including providers, health educators, medical assistants, registered nurses, and case managers. Attends relevant meetings.
10. Assists in developing and implementing procedures and protocols to facilitate delivery of comprehensive health care.
11. Participates in staff conferences, staff meetings, quality assurance activities and QA Committee as needed.
12. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.